Saturday, December 10, 2016

Introducing Making Strides

Good morning, all, and welcome to Papertrey Ink's December countdown. I have a very personal set to share with all of you this month called Making Strides. I hope you don't mind if I share a little bit about how this set came to be.

Lizzie Jones - Before & During
The photo on the Left is from September 2013 after I had lost about 15lbs. It's the most recent photo I have in which I'm not hiding behind something. I was the same weight and in the same shape at the beginning of this year.
The photo on the Right is from yesterday.

I've struggled with my weight and fitness for my entire adult life. About a year and a half ago I decided I wanted to give a healthy lifestyle yet another shot. I looked online for motivation and I came upon pages and pages of inspirational quotes and phrases. It took me a little while to really commit, but I buckled down starting at the beginning of this year. Now I go to the gym 5-6 days a week. I've revisited many of those quotes to help me stay engaged even on those days that I really, really want to sleep in and make bad food choices. Sometimes you just need a kick in the pants, you know?

I thought other people might be in need of that same kind of motivation. I designed this set so we can all encourage each other and congratulate one another as we push ourselves toward our goals. And the great thing is, many of the sentiments are ideal for facing any sort of challenge, not just the physical ones. The set is also gender neutral, so it will work for anyone you want to encourage! Ok, enough yapping...let's get on to some projects!

Triathlon Cards

We have a few friends who run triathlons, and their accomplishments inspired me to create these cards. I paired Making Strides with the Moments Inked: Active Symbols set to put these together.

Women's Triathlon Close Up

I began by stamping the swimmer, bicycle, and running shoe icons in rows on white cardstock panels. I adhered those panels onto white card bases. Then, I sponged ink (Deep Indigo and Berry Sorbet) onto colored strips of cardstock (Spring Rain and Pale Peony) to add depth.

Men's Triathlon Card

I set those aside to dry thoroughly before heat embossing the Making Strides sentiment with white powder. I mounted the sentiment strips to the card fronts with coaster stock. It's a little flatter than foam tape and I like that subtle difference.

Thank you so much for joining me today! Make sure to pop in and visit Nichole, Betsy, Heather, and Kay for more introductions. See you tomorrow!

Recipe:
Stamps: Making Strides, Moments Inked: Active Symbols - Papertrey Ink
Cardstock: Spring Rain, Pale Peony - Papertrey Ink; white
Ink: Harvest Gold, Summer Sunrise, Berry Sorbet, Tropical Teal, Vintage Jadeite, Spring Rain, Deep Indigo - Papertrey Ink; VersaMark - Tsukineko
Other: Coasters - Papertrey Ink; White Embossing Powder - Filigree

34 comments:

June K said...

Congratulations on your new life style and weight loss. You are so inspirational. Great inspirational sets.

Sean said...

Very proud of you, babe! Especially since you're at the gym right now and I'm wandering the house like a lost puppy dog!

Gina said...

Lizzie!!!!!! Congratulations on your journey. What a great inspirational set. I look forward to seeing more of this one.

Janet said...

First off, I want to congratulate you on your weight loss journey. I have been going to a personal trainer for over our year's and I know how much commitment to exercise means. Second, I love your sets so far. I will for certain buy any and all of your sets having to do with exercise, commitment and weight loss! good job!

AnitaR said...

Congratulations to you! You are an inspiration. I'm a lifetime weight watcher, not at goal but trying to get back to it. I know how difficult, and what a mental battle, losing weight is. You should give yourself a BIG HUG, look in the mirror and tell yourselff how proud you are of what you've accomplished!

PatQ's Cards said...

I am so impressed with your progress. You are a real inspiration!

Shelly said...

You look wonderful Lizzie! Way to stay motivated and get healthy! Your stamp set is very inspiring!

Luanne said...

You rock & congratulations! The new set will be a great reminder of your great accomplishment!

amtribbett said...

Congratulations Lizzie! Thank you so much for being willing to share and thank you for designing a set around this. I have just joined ww and am beginning my journey. I have tried other things but just have not worked. This is just coming at the right time for me! Have a blessed Christmas season!
Anne-Marie

Anonymous said...

I love this set, Lizzie! It is perfect for so many of my friends/family. I am more like the before picture you have posted and not proud of it. I AM so proud of you and I don't even know you. You go, girl!

Mary W said...

Great inspiration with your new healthy living! LOVE the words on your card set and find it appropriate for a big variety of challenges that people go through. Thanks for sharing and this great new set of stamps!

Vikki H said...

Love your vulnerability and the photos! You go girl!! The stamp set is perfect for so many occasions. Thanks.

Nora Noll said...

Congratulations!! You look FABULOUS!!! I love this great set!! Your cards are wonderful.

Carol said...

I struggle with weight too, so I particularly admire your commitment to improving your health. Thanks for a set of stamps that help us encourage ourselves as well as others.

blaze said...

Lizzie, congratulations on your success! This set is so unique, and something that I know you'll be proud of...

Joyce said...

Love this set, and can see so many ways to use it. And, congratulations to you on all your accomplishments. It could not have been easy, and I really admire what you have done and how you have been willing to share. You look AMAZING!!

Kris said...

It's so hard to make the right food choices. Congrats on your grit and determination to see a healthier you and lifestyle! "Lifestyle" change is the key element. You go, girl!

Peege said...

Keep up the great lifestyle, Lizzie! You look fab!👍 A lot of us have the same tale of weight probs. I've lost 20 and feeling much better!😊

Diana K said...

You are beautiful always, but kudos to you for committing to your health. It will definitely pay off and help to keep you young for a long time. Big hugs to you, Lizzie, for being so brave! I really admire you for that. And I'm also really loving your new set.

Sandy M said...

First of all congratulations on the weight loss. Having struggled with the same problem all my life I know how hard it is to lose weight. Be smart and keep it off.
I love your card. It is a very nice way to show your support to your friends.

adele holcomb said...

Congrats on your weight loss, especially on keeping it off -- you look fantastic! Love all the tiny icons on your card -- nice sentiment and nice job!

Janet B. from WV said...

Congratulations, Lizzie! Maybe this set will give me some more ch needed inspiration.

Susi said...

What an amazing accomplishment, Lizzie - congrats and "Way to Go, Girl!" Goes to show that, when someone puts their mind to something, they can do ANYTHING. So happy for you.

Susan said...

What a great success story you are Lizzie! I am so proud of you! I just love this new stamp set and will use it to make encouraging cards for my daughter who runs marathons, triathalons and soon an Ironman! I have been waiting for something like this. Keep up the good work Lizzie!

Leslie S. said...

Your commitment is obviously paying off - well done you! Your cards are terrific!

Kathy Mc said...

When I first saw these two pictures, I had no idea they were both you. What a wise and healthy accomplishment, Lizzie, to tackle this life change and stick with it. You look fabulous either way, but I'm sure you feel a whole lot better exercising. Your new set with be perfect for encouraging others to get/stay fit and active. Kudos!

Susan T said...

that is amazing and you truly are an inspiration. you go girl!!

Marybeth said...

You are so sweet to share! You look amazing ! I do love that gingham shirt in the old photo though:) congratulations!!!! The new stamp set is a wonderful way to encourage others !

Vicki Finger said...

My grandson is a runner and has competed at the Junior National Olympics the last two summers. I can use some of these sentiments for him. Congratulations on your weight loss journey. You have a lot to be proud of.

Cathy Y said...

Big congrats, Liz!!! You look fabulous! You have inspired me to get off the couch and DO something. :-)

Unknown said...

You've always been beautiful inside and out! You go girl! :-)

bj martin said...

Thanks for sharing your story, Lizzie. Congratulations on taking such positive steps in your life!

jan metcalf said...

You are amazing and so wonderful to share your story and inspirations with others!

Vicki Finger said...

What a lovely and inspirational story! Good for you, Lizzie!