Monday, January 11, 2016

More Background Basics: Splats and Go For The Goal

Good morning, friends! Welcome back to Day 2 of the Papertrey Ink January countdown. I'm so glad to hear about your enthusiasm for this month's sets! I’ve seen a few requests for other sports that folks want to see in the future, so I’ll just take a moment to remind you of which sports I’ve already tackled (no pun…well, only a little bit of a pun intended):

Baseball (7th Inning Stretch)
Golf (On The Links)

Anyway, I have a couple of additional projects to share with you today, so let's get to it!

Let's start today with a baby card featuring Background Basics: Splats.

Baby Boy Teddy Bear Card

I started by die cutting the word "baby" out of a panel of white cardstock using the Modern Alphabet Upper die collection. There's only one letter B, so it required two passes to get the whole word. I simply used an extra "B" shape as a placeholder to make sure I got the spacing right. No sweat!

Baby Boy Teddy Bear Close Up

Then, I stamped the Keep It Simple: Baby sentiment and teddy bear using Spring Rain and Dark Chocolate inks. Next, I traced the die cut letters onto a white card base and stamped the open areas with one of the small background blocks in the new Splats set (I used a sticky note to mask off each letter to avoid overlap).

Baby Boy Teddy Bear Card Interior

On the inside I stamped the Tucked In: Baby sentiment in Dark Chocolate ink. I wanted a little extra embellishment, so I stamped the small dots strip using second generation Spring Rain ink (which makes for easier legibility, but much more difficult photography). To finish up, I erased any errant pencil lines and attached the top panel to the card base using foam tape. A tiny crochet thread bow is the perfect to add a sweet touch to the teddy.

Next up is Go For The Goal. The idea behind this card was "blood, sweat, tears, and mud." As I recall from my sister's (much more successful) soccer career all four generally made an appearance at one time or another.

Happiness In Winning Card

I started by stamping a collage of images from Go For The Goal, Background Basics: Splats (the large dot strip), and Drips & Dribbles using Fine Linen, Classic Kraft, and Dark Chocolate inks. I sponged those same inks around the perimeter of the card to soften the edges a bit and then added a few "blood" spots by inking with Pure Poppy and Scarlet Jewel inks (the two colors together looks more realistic than one or the other alone). I added texture to the card front with the Linen & Canvas Impression Plate and set it aside.

Happiness In Winning Close Up

Next, I stamped the Outlined frame onto Rustic White cardstock using the same Pure Poppy/Scarlet Jewel combo. The sentiment was then stamped using True Black ink. I trimmed out the frame and adhered it to the card base using foam tape.

Well, that's all for me today. Thank you so much for joining me. Make sure to check in with Nichole, Betsy, Danielle, Dawn, and Melissa for even more inspiration. Have a great day and I'll see you tomorrow!

Recipes:
Baby Boy Teddy Bear Card
Stamps: Background Basics: Splats, Polka Dot Parade #4, Keep It Simple: Baby, Tucked In: Baby - Papertrey Ink
Cardstock: white
Ink: Spring Rain, Blueberry Sky, Aqua Mist, Mint Julep, Dark Chocolate - Papertrey Ink
Other: Modern Alphabet Upper Die Collection - Papertrey Ink; Foam Tape - Scotch; White Crochet Thread

Happiness In Winning Card
Stamps: Background Basics: Splats, Go For The Goal, Drips & Dribbles
Cardstock: Classic Kraft, Rustic White - Papertrey Ink
Ink: Fine Linen, Classic Kraft, Dark Chocolate, Pure Poppy, Scarlet Jewel, True Black - Papertrey Ink
Other: Linen & Canvas Impression Plate - Papertrey Ink; Foam Tape - Scotch

6 comments:

Ohhh Snap said...

The splats are fabulous and so diverse in use. I love that they can be used for baby AND sports battle cards : D. The cards are just wonderful!

Dawn Z said...

I really love the mud, blood, tears idea. Such creative thinkng and very meaningful! Beautiful designs!

Leslie S. said...

Loving the Background Basics; Splats - so versatile. And your sports cards are so creative.

Denise E said...

Love, love, love your splats. And that blood, sweat, tears, and mud card is awesome! I could pair it with other balls to make appropriate for other sports. So creative. Thanks for sharing!!

MTPatB said...

The welcome baby card is so adorable. I especially like the cutout of the word "BABY."

Kathy Krug said...

Beautiful designs.