Wednesday, January 1, 2014

January Color Play

Good morning and welcome to this month's Papertrey Ink Color Play feature! This month we're getting our inspiration from an Instagram photo from Copenhagen-based photographer idalaerke. Her entire Instagram feed is packed full with inspiration, but this photo in particular caught my eye. I love that you can tell that it's cold, but the knit sweater and coffee are so cozy.


I also knew I wanted to make a thank you card for today. If your house is anything like mine, you've been deep in the throes of gifting as of late. I've been needing to make some thank you cards to send to the friends and family who have been so generous with us over the holiday season. Not only do I need cards, but so does my husband. He's better than just about anyone I know (I'm including myself here) about sending notes of gratitude. This challenge gave me a nice opportunity to make him a handful of notes to have available.


I started with a smaller than average card (3 1/2" x 4 7/8"). I began by stamping my ikat pattern onto a Soft Stone card front using Pinefeather, Blueberry Sky, and New Leaf inks. Using Soft Stone here (aside from the fact that it's part of the color palette) is a good choice because it tones down the colors just a smidgen. White would have been a little too bright against the other colors in the scheme for this particular project.


Next, I die cut a Photo Finishers strip from the stamped panel to give me a space to stamp my sentiment. The panel pieces were backed with foam tape (to give them a bit of substance) and mounted to a Classic Kraft base. The sentiment was then added in the resulting negative space using Pinefeather ink. It's extremely clean, simple, and (I hope) masculine which is exactly what I was going for. I think he'll be pleased.

Thank you for joining me today! Make sure to check out my earlier post on color coded die storage. I hope you have a happy and productive start to your new year. Until next time!

Recipe:
Stamps: Irresistibly Ikat, Bountiful Banners - Papertrey Ink
Cardstock: Classic Kraft, Soft Stone - Papertrey Ink
Ink: Pinefeather, Blueberry Sky, New Leaf - Papertrey Ink
Other: Photo Finishers Die Collection - Papertrey Ink; Foam Tape - Scotch

2 comments:

Donna Cala said...

Lovely. I own the Ikat set and just love it, especially for simple thanks yous.

Joyce said...

Lizzie--I just love this little Ikat Thank you. You have reminded me of how much I love that set, and how I need to pull it out soon. And, I do not know why I never thought to use the photo finishers as negative spaces, but it is a brilliant idea, and one I plan to copy soon. Happy New Year.