Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Glitterati Cupcake

Hello, Blogland! I hope you've been having a lovely week. I got a special request for a very special baby card and I thought I'd share that card today. So, Miss Randi, if you're reading...this one's for you.


I started by stamping the cupcake from Baby Button Bits onto white cardstock (twice) and Berry Sorbet Bitty Box Basics patterned paper. I trimmed the bottom half of the cupcake out of the patterned paper and adhered it directly on top of one of the two white cupcakes. Next, I colored the other cupcake using colored pencils and mineral spirits and trimmed out just the top part. Now here's where I lose my mind just a little and temporarily forget how much I hate loose glitter. I coated the pink part of the cupcake with dimensional glaze and dumped on the glitter. It was everywhere within moments. It's a darn good thing I didn't have to sneeze or I would be finding glitter for ages.


Well, eventually I got the glitter cleaned up sufficiently and put the cupcake under a button container to allow the glaze to dry and to secure the glitter into the glaze as much as possible. I think it worked because I messed with the cupcake this morning before popping the card in the mail and I came away nearly glitter-free. Anyway, after the glaze was dry I stitched on a button and mounted my cupcake top to the main panel with foam tape. The entire main panel was then matted with Sweet Blush cardstock and set aside for a moment.

Next I worked on the ruffle. I cut a piece of saddle stitched ribbon about twice the width of my main panel and pulled one string until the ribbon rusched the way I wanted. I wrapped that around a piece of cardstock just narrower than my main panel and adhered the ends to the back. I first saw this technique from the über talented Lisa Johnson. It adds such awesome texture!

I realized that I needed a base to pull this whole thing together, so I cut a piece of Berry Sorbet and got busy. I started by stamping the largest polka dots from Polka Dot Basics 1 in Fresh Snow ink. I then went back through with the next size polka dot and filled in the spaces between large dots. It's a fun pattern and I feel like I should use it more often.

Anyway, I finished the card by adhering the ruffle panel directly to the base and mounting the cupcake panel over the ruffles with foam tape. I love how the card turned out, but I may lay off the loose glitter for awhile. They make glue suspended glitter just for people like me.

I hope you've enjoyed today's post. Take care and I'll see you soon!

Recipe:
Cardstock: Berry Sorbet, Sweet Blush - Papertrey Ink; white
Stamps: Baby Button Bits, Polka Dot Basics 1 - Papertrey Ink
Ink: Fresh Snow - Papertrey Ink; Burnt Umber - Palette
Ribbon: Lemon Tart Saddle Stitched - Papertrey Ink
Other: Colored Pencils - Prismacolor; Embroidery Floss - DMC; Foam Tape - Scotch; Glossy Accents - Ranger; button; mineral spirits; loose glitter

15 comments:

Unknown said...

It turned out really pretty, the glitter looks so neat, very adorable card.

Amy Kolling said...

I think your card is FABULOUS!! I love everything about it......the glitter, ruffle, everything!! The glitter was SOOO worth it! :)

Jennifer K said...

The ruffle is so adorable - love it!

Melanie said...

I love that cupcake! Especially all glittered up! Cute card!

Sharron said...

This looks fabulous! Love the colors and the added ruffle. And the cupcake looks so yummy!

Sue Ann said...

uber cute....... love the background paper with the dots and who does not love cupcakes!!!!

Cheryl said...

This is a great card. I love your color choices, and those polka dots are great!

Sherry said...

Super super cute!! I adore that polka dot background!

Jackie Solomon said...

That cupcake looks good enough to eat, I love the glitter.

Love everything about it, it's a beautiful card.

Diane Jaquay said...

This is really FABULOUS! Love the polka dots, and the beautiful, glittery cupcake, and the little ribbon ruffle under the focal image, GREAT stuff!

BethieJ said...

SO SO CUTE! I LOVE everything about it!!! Just darling! Your friend is gonna LOVE it!

Anika said...

What a great card! I may need Polka Dot Basics I, just for this background!

Randi said...

The card arrived today and it is above and beyond! Wish you all could see it up close/personal:-) Thanks, Liz...Kelly will love it.

Wendy Panzner said...

Can I buy one of those from you in the next few months?

IamDerby said...

this turned out smashing! I love that cupcake, one of my most favorite images.