Thursday, February 25, 2010

February Blog Hop: Design Team Appreciation Day!


Greetings Blog Hoppers! The challenge for tonight's Blog Hop was to choose a project from one of the design team members and use it as inspiration for your own unique project. I decided to welcome two of the newest design team members, Maile Belles and Erin Lincoln, with my cards for tonight.


Let's start with Maile. Maile created this super-cool card using the Fillable Frames set to stamp her background as well as her focal image. I loved her layout and concept, so I used those as my starting point.


I used one of the larger polka dotted circles from Borders & Corners: Circle to create the pattern on my background as well as the frame for my image panel. I stamped the cupcake and sentiment before mounting the image panel over the Lemon Tart ribbon; similar to Maile's panel and ribbon detail on the inspiration card.




Next up is my card inspired by one of Erin's amazing design team projects. Erin showcased the new Luck of the Irish set with this jazzy little number. I'm apparently in a birthday mood, so the St. Patty's day theme didn't carry over, but the layout was like striking (a pot of) gold!


I used the square set-up and the stamped frame as the starting point for my project (I didn't emboss my center like Erin did because I don't have the required tools, but I loved that detail). I stamped my butterflies on cardstock as well as vellum to give them dimensional flare and used my Fillable Frame die and stamp to get the same effect as Erin did with the frame from Luck of the Irish.

I love how both cards turned out! Thanks so much for the inspiration, Maile and Erin!

Take care and happy hopping!

Recipe (cupcake card):
Cardstock: Aqua Mist - Papertrey Ink; white
Stamps: Cupcake Collection, Borders & Corners: Circle - Papertrey Ink
Ink: Lemon Tart, Aqua Mist - Papertrey Ink; Versamark - Tsukineko; Burnt Umber - Palette
Ribbon: Lemon Tart Saddle Stitched - Papertrey Ink
Tools: Nesting Circles Dies - Quickutz
Other: Foam Tape - Scotch

Recipe (butterflies card):
Cardstock: Spring Moss, Linen Vellum - Papertrey Ink; white
Stamps: Fillable Frames #1, Polka Dot Basics, Butterfly Kisses - Papertrey Ink
Ink: Sweet Blush, Berry Sorbet, Spring Moss, Fresh Snow - Papertrey Ink
Ribbon: Berry Sorbet Twill - Papertrey Ink
Tools: Fillable Frames Die - Papertrey Ink
Other: White Embroidery Floss - DMC; pink buttons; Foam Tape - Scotch

54 comments:

Lea L. said...

These are both so pretty! I really love the folded ribbon on the first one! Great job with the challenge!

♥Lea

Ted said...

Lizzie, I love the style you incorporated here. Well done! :)

Taheerah said...

Great cards Lizzie, really love how you've made these 'your own' with your stylish touches!

Elizabeth S. said...

Such pretty cards!! Love the butterflies.

Dana said...

Oh Lizzie! Your first card is awesome. I LOVE the cupcake off-center. It really draws the eye. And your second card made me want the butterfly dreams set that I completely thought I could do without when it was released a few years ago. Just lovely.

Anika said...

Awesome job! Love them both!

Tricia T said...

Oooo - I love the second card you did! The colors are yummy and it is simply perfect!

colleenk said...

I love these both!Great job!

Lori said...

So very pretty!

Diane Jaquay said...

I really love both of your cards, and they're both great interpretations of the originals! Well done!

Carly said...

Oh my gosh they just amazing!! Fabulous!

Liz said...

These both turned out fabulous! I love the layered butterflies!

@JoyceCasaldi said...

Holy cards Batman! They are all fabulous!

Suzanne said...

Love both your cards. I just might be caseing your cards caseing Erin's!

Anonymous said...

These are both great!

Rosanne said...

Beautiful cards!

Kay D said...

I'm SO going to CASE your cupcake card- I love it!!!!

Kelly S. said...

These are amazing! I REALLY love the color combo on the butterfly card, so springy and fresh! The cupcake card is stamped so cute off-center like that!

Marge said...

I love how they both turned out too!!!

Sue Ann said...

Lizzie you are one busy young lady....... great job on the cards they are all AMAZING!!!

Sue in Grapevine said...

Wow! Your imitations do not pale in comparison.

Cammie said...

Beautiful cards and wonderful tributes to Maile and Erin!

Erica said...

I really like your Eat Cake card!

Rhonda said...

Nice take on both cards. You did an excellent job.

Unknown said...

Both are just wonderful cards!! The colors are beautiful - happy cards! :)

Daniela F. said...

Lizzie, your cards look both awesome!! The addition of the vellum layer on the butterfly looks so fantastic. It really makes them "flutter" on your card :)

Shay said...

Gorgeous cards! I love that card by Maile Belles and your take on it is so wonderful and I love your butterfly card too. I can't wait to discover more beauties on your blog later.

Kay said...

Truly fabulous! These cards are so pretty and the butterflies are beautiful!! ♥♥ Kay

Terri said...

Nice job on both of them. I especially like the butterflies on the second one!

Cindy Holshouser said...

Lizzie these are both so beautiful. I really love the yellow and aqua one, such a soothing color combination.

Janelle said...

Both cards are fabulous -- and how sweet of you to honor the two newest DT members! I keep thinking about your cupcake card -- great colors, great use of the circle image for a background!

Tonya said...

Love, love, love!!!!

Susan W said...

Such great cards! I love how you made that background with the circle- very clever!

jen said...

Love 'em both- that frame as a background stamp may be my fave... :)

peggysue said...

Wow those are both super cool! Great challenge cards!

Sharron said...

Wow, these are both so lovely! Great colors! And the butterflies look fabulous--great job!

Laural-Lee said...

Firstly I LOVE what you did with the circles. And those butterflies are divine!

Michelle (abzzymom) said...

Wow! Both cards are gorgeous! You really took both cards and made them your own. You're very talented!

Michelle (abzzymom) said...

Wow! Both cards are gorgeous! You really took both cards and made them your own. You're very talented!

Cheryl said...

Both cards are just beautiful!. I especially love the cupcake card--the colors and the background you made are just great.

Linda W said...

Great cards! I love the background on the cupcake one. Way to think outside the circle . Takes me back to my love of the Spirograph. (Gosh I feel old)

Sherry said...

Gorgeous cards! You really took an inspiration piece and made it your own. Great job!

Amy Kolling said...

Oh, I love what you did with the first card! I am going to have to think outside the box and try using stamps for "other" things like backgrounds!

Anonymous said...

Lizzie, great cards. You did the DT proud:)

Kim Wilson said...

Thank you for the comment :) it was my first hop so its a lot to learn ha ha! I love your cards! Feel free to add me if you are interested!!!

Anonymous said...

Love how you made the background with the circle! Very creative!

Banu said...

The first card you have done is just ab fab. Loved the use of cupcake image and how it is kind of off center. Beautiful.

Karen H. said...

OMG I *love* your circle background card. Your butterfly card is also awesome - I really need to try the 3D effect one of these days.

Kim said...

Gorgeous cards Lizzie! Sorry I'm way late to the blog hop. I'm glad I stopped by to see your post, the cards are fabulous!

Anita Rex said...

Love both your cards! Especailly how the cupcake is too the side!

Lisa said...

Your cards turned out beautiful!! I love the colors you used... so springy!!!

Maureen said...

love the inspiration cards you chose... and how you made them your own...however, you could've made a St. Patty's day birthday card and sent it to me!! LOL Born on March 17th :)

Joan B said...

These are signature Lizzie, perfect and crisp in every way!

Maile Belles said...

These are gorgeous Lizzie! Thanks for the warm welcome and for using on of my cards to find inspiration through!