Thursday, September 24, 2009

Autumn Mums

So today's card started out as an idea that I was really excited about, but doesn't look quite the way I expected now that it's finished. I'll let you judge for yourself if it's as cool as I was aiming for it to be.


I started by stamping the polka dots onto Rustic White cardstock with watermark ink and embossed them with clear powder. You know what I learned today...you can't really stamp overtop clear embossing powder. True story. Duh.

Anyway, I set the base aside and went to work on my argyle textured panel. I scored and pierced lines alternately at 1/4" intervals. Then I went back though and stitched knots at every intersection of scored lines. This, I soon realized, takes a lot of time. Be prepared. Since I couldn't stamp the sentiment on the base I put that on this panel with the hope that it would be visible enough.


Once the argyle was finished I stamped the mum image onto Rustic White cardstock and colored it with pencils and mineral spirits. I die cut the image and the scalloped circle and began assembling the card.

First, I adhered the Pure Poppy scalloped circle to the base and mounted the argyle piece using foam tape because the threads on the back made using a flat adhesive tricky. I finished the card by mounting the floral image using foam tape and applying Glossy Accents to the vase for a little shine (it's a little difficult to see in the photo). I still don't know if I love it, but hopefully the recipient will enjoy it.

I hope you've enjoyed today's card. I'm not sure what I have up my sleeve for tomorrow, but I'll try to make it special. See you then!

Recipe:
Cardstock: Rustic White, Kraft, Pure Poppy - Papertrey Ink
Stamps: Autumn Abundance, Polka Dot Basics II - Papertrey Ink
Ink: Burnt Umber - Palette; Versamark - Tsukineko
Other: Foam Tape - Scotch; Embroidery Floss - DMC; Glossy Accents - Ranger; Colored Pencils - Prismacolor; Mineral Spirits
Tools: Scor-pal; Nesting Circles Dies, Nesting Flowers Dies - Quickutz; Die Cut Machine

8 comments:

Amy Kolling said...

Very pretty!! It's nice to see some coloring using pencils and OMS and not just copics!! This set is en route to me! Can't wait to color them.

Joan B said...

Wow! that looks like a ton of work. it is beautiful.

Heidi said...

Oh this is beautiful! I love the coloring in pencils. It's so soft. What a cool background too!

Michelle said...

Welcome back!
Yes - this is actually pretty cool. Looks like it was very labor intensive however....stitching each knot?! But the end product is so worth it!

Taheerah said...

Wow! Well, no-one can say that you don't suffer for your art, lol. The amount of work that went into this one card is incredible, and even if it's not turned out exactly as you'd hoped I still think it's fab!

BethieJ said...

Lizzie this is BEAUTIFUL! Great job on the coloring!!!

Randi said...

Love argyle...

Geny said...

Just gorgeous, i love the layout, the coloring, everything about the card!!