Sunday, January 25, 2009

Papertrey Blog Hop: Birthday Card Challenge



Tonight is the Papertrey Blog Hop. This month's challenge was to create a birthday card. Man, woman, child...all fair game! I chose to create a birthday card for a child (though I wouldn't mind getting this card myself, either - I like duckies).



The main image is the duckie from Bitty Baby Blessings. I stamped him in Dark Chocolate ink and colored him with colored pencils and mineral spirits (I'm noticing a bird/colored pencil theme to my projects lately). I cut him out and mounted him on a circle I die cut from dark brown Bazzill cardstock.



My card base is Papertrey Kraft that has been stamped with the smallest dot in the Polka Dot Basics set. The vellum layer is Papertrey's Linen Vellum Cardstock that I trimmed with my Basic Grey Notch & Die set. I've had that tool for awhile and I don't use it nearly enough. It gives such a nifty edge and there are so many possibilities! I adhered the vellum to the card base using vellum tape. I love that this vellum is so nice and heavy. It's really forgiving with things like adhesive and can tolerate a lot of handling.

Then, I layered Lemon Tart Saddle Stitched ribbon and dark brown double sided satin to give a little more visual interest to the space directly below the scalloped edge. I finished the card by attaching the duck medallion with foam tape and stamping "happy birthday" in Dark Chocolate ink. Thank you for stopping by today! Take care and I'll see you soon...

Recipe:
Cardstock: Kraft, Linen Vellum Cardstock - Papertrey Ink; Brown - Bazzill; Ultimate White - Strathmore
Ink: Dark Chocolate - Papertrey Ink
Stamps: Bitty Baby Blessings, Polka Dot Basics, Birthday Basics - Papertrey Ink
Fibers: Lemon Tart Saddle Stitched Ribbon - Papertrey Ink; 1/4" double sided satin - American Crafts
Tools: Nesting Circles Dies - Quickutz; Die Cut Machine; Notch & Die Set - Basic Grey
Other: Colored Pencils - Prismacolor; Foam Tape - Scotch

33 comments:

Jak Heath said...

I wouldn't mind receiving a duckie card either Lizzie and yours is awesome.

Marge said...

Now that's an adorable card; I love it!!!
Have always wanted that Notch & Die set; maybe you've inspired me to purchase one!!!

Anonymous said...

I really like this card - the colors, the layout, it all works!

Latisha said...

Very cute!

Dawn McVey (dawnsing) said...

So cute, Lizzie! Great color combo and I always love the Polka Dot Basics. :)

Have a goodie!

IamDerby said...

This is so elegant... cute enough for a kid but pretty enough for a grown up.

Dana Gustafson said...

Really sweet....and I like duckies too :)

Serendipity said...

Adorable!!!

Gwen said...

it is so cute! the perfect card for some lucky child!!

Molly B said...

Very cute. The coloring on your duck is so soft. Very nice. -Molly B

Jennifer Kirk said...

Your card is so cute! Love the duckie and the sentiment works perfectly with the simplicity of the card.

Lori said...

This card is so cute!! Love your colors!!

Regan said...

this is the cutest thing!!! LOVE it

Deanna said...

Gorgeous Lizzie, love the colors!

Savitri said...

Lizzy, too too cute! Love your clean card!

Anonymous said...

Darling!

Amy said...

Love this, so pretty and sweet!

Sharon said...

Very cute!! Love the clean look to the card.

Jen Caputo said...

this is just darling - such a classy card!

Babies-Beth said...

Hey! I would love to get this, too, lol, but looks like a great baby card to case to me!

Chris said...

this is adorable!! love the duck...

Cheryl said...

I absolutely love this card! The color combo is so calm, and I like how you layered the ribbon. Great job!

Kathleen said...

This is a GREAT card---love the lay out and design! Great duck---it's just fabulous!!

Chrissy said...

what a sweet card! :-)

Lori said...

So cute! I love the clean, simple design.

Unknown said...

This is wonderful, love your color combo!

Tabitha said...

Wonderful card Lizzie. Love your blog to!

I like how you layered the ribbon!

Anonymous said...

terrific job!

Terri said...

Cute card.

Donelda said...

So CUTE!!!! I love it!

Jennifer Holmes said...

Very sweet!

Bonnie said...

Always love Bitty Baby Blessings!!

Unknown said...

This is just beautiful - I love your colours too